Monday, February 19, 2007

Underwater in Dahab

Nic, Kate, and I got up early on Saturday to go snorkeling. I was excited but also very nervous. I've only been snorkeling a few times and I knew that the Blue Hole was a bit advanced.

We got to the dive store and they got us all our equipment, including wet suits... it's a bit chilly in the water, though I did see people swimming in bikinis. The worst part of the entire day was trying on wetsuits. Kate and I are both really short and that makes everything more difficult. Wetsuits are also impossible to get on. It took two guys to help me put it on- so embarrassing, but I quickly got over it because everyone needed people to help them get those ridiculous things on.

A Bedouin driver takes us out to the Blue Hole. First there is a military checkpoint. They ask the driver who in the jeep is an American. Our guide then points to me, Nic, and Kate. Great. We'll be the first ones shot. There were also some British, Irish, and Canadian folks with us.

The drive was bumpy and difficult, but the rocky coastline isn't an ideal place for vehicles, either. We finally made it to the Blue Hole, and were dropped off at a tiny restaurant on the water to eat breakfast. After eating, we started getting all our gear on, which was a workout in itself. Now to the Blue Hole we go!

Wetsuits are not fun, but we'll smile anyway!

Entry to the site is through a large lagoon in the reeftop, about 164 feet across. This lagoon is the 'blue hole' which gives the site its name - it is in fact the top of a vertical shaft which is reported to extend over 984 feet straight down. Supposedly, no one has ever seen the bottom of the blue hole. However, many have tried and more than a few people have gone in and never come back, due to nitrogen narcosis. A shallow lip at about 20 feet leads from the lagoon to the outer reef; deep within the hole, an arched passage also links the reef face to the hole itself.

Nic took this picture after climbing around... a great view of the Blue Hole


We all got in and I started snapping pictures right away. I was so excited to use my underwater camera.

Not even five minutes into the water, Kate loses a flipper. Into the Blue Hole it went, never to be seen again.

OK, so new game plan- two at a time. Nic and I go first and at first I was really nervous, but I finally relaxed and really enjoyed myself. We saw all sorts of incredible sea life, including a ray, angelfish, parrotfish, clown fish... you name it, we saw it. It was awesome. After Nic and I made it back to shore, Nic and Kate went out.


Kate and I at the beginning of our snorkel adventure

While they explored the coral, I relaxed and took pictures of the shore and the surrounding area. When they came back, Kate and I hopped in and I enjoyed another round of the reef. Just an amazing place! I don't think I'll ever again be in water so clear and beautiful. The coral reefs were in great condition and from what I could tell, everyone really respected the wildlife.


Nic showing off
There are finally efforts underway to reduce destruction from overfishing, uncontrolled tourism, and collection of corals for souvenirs in the Red Sea. It's a difficult task, considering Egypt, Israel, and Jordan don't always get along. They are just beginning to explore effective new ecotourism initiatives, one that includes a tourist tax to assist with the preservation of the coral reefs. I hope it works, because it's an amazing place!

After snorkeling we got back to our hotel, unloaded and went for a huge seafood dinner. Now, I wasn't a big fan of picking my own dinner from a tray of icy fish, but that's how it works here, and that's what you do. We had some Grouper fish and some calamari. We were stuffed afterwards. After such a long day in the water we headed back to our room and took hot showers and passed out. Before I fell asleep I noticed that I had the strangest sunburn ever- a small spot of red on the very top of my forehead and a small spot on the top of my nose- not my whole nose, not under my eyes. Strange places for a sunburn, but I'm taking care of it, funny as it is.



Nic, Kate, and the owner of the place we ate dinner... I'm not a fan of haggling a price for food, but we ended up getting a pretty good deal since it's not tourist season in Dahab.

Our tasty dinner

No comments: