Thursday, February 22, 2007

Egyptian Museum and Kentucky Fried Chicken

Today Nic and Kate had class all day, so I was completely on my own. I feel a lot more comfortable now, so I wasn't too worried about it. I only got haggled once on the half hour walk to the Egyptian Museum, which was great. The pollution this morning, however, was awful. This city, as much as I enjoy it, is really really dirty and gross.

The Museum of Egyptian Antiquities, known commonly as the Egyptian Museum, is home to the most extensive collection of ancient Egyptian antiquities in the world. It has 136,000 items on display, with many more hundreds of thousands in its basement storerooms. In fact, the weight of some of the items in the basement is so great that some of the items sunk and had to be excavated. You aren't allowed to take any pictures, so the ones I've posted here aren't mine.
The museum is an outgrowth of the Egyptian Antiquities Service, established by the Egyptian government in 1835, in an attempt to limit the looting of antiquities from sites, and protect artifacts.



Some of the big things in the museum: Artifacts from the tombs of kings and members of the royal families of the Middle Kingdom found at Dahshur in 1894. The contents of the royal tombs of Tuthmosis III, Tuthmosis IV, Amenhotep III and Horemheb and the tomb of Yuya and Thuya. Artifacts from the tomb of Tutankhamun, consisting of more than 3500 Pieces, of which 1700 objects are displayed in the museum (the rest are in storerooms).



It was pretty neat to walk around. Some people spend days or even weeks exploring all the treasures. Sadly, the museum is more like the Costco of Egyptian articfacts... there is stuff everywhere and it's poorly labeled. Luckily my guidebook told me all the highlights and I was able to follow along nicely. I spent about three hours there and took the Metro back.



As I was coming out of the train at Dokki, the stop where the apartment is, I was feeling pretty good about myself. However, I couldn't find my train ticket, so I couldn't get out of the station. But the workers took pity on my poor stupid tourist soul and let me go. Then I got lost. Being cost in Cairo takes a lot out of you, but I was able to find my way back to the apartment. Finding my way back helped boost my travel ego again- it was pretty bruised from losing the Metro ticket after only two stops.



Walking home I was starving. Kate and Nic told me about a Kentucky Fried Chicken in the neighborhood that was staffed entirely by deaf Egyptians. Curious about the environment there, and dying of starvation, I set out to eat there.


The guy manning the cash register had me point at what I wanted, fanned his mouth asking if I wanted it hot or not and pointed at the receipt to show me how much I owed. The American restaurant chain, which runs the deaf KFC, opened the restaurant a decade ago. Its general manager came up with the idea as a way to help the little-noticed deaf community in Cairo. For many, this is the first job they have ever had in their lives. They take pride in their work, and are quick to smile at any sign language you can muster. It is also a de facto hangout for the young deaf. I thought it was a very cool place and even though I now feel like I should run a few miles to make up for the fatty meal, I'm glad that I had that experience.



After I got back, Nic and Kate made some dinner and we drank a new Sakkara's (Egyptian beer) and they started doing homework. I, however, completed the NOAA Security Test online. As one of my co-workers said in an e-mail, I deserve a gold star. I don't know about a gold star, but it was a silly little test that took far too long!



Tomorrow is my last day in Egypt! I am SO SAD! I leave very early on Friday morning. We're headed to the pyramids of Saqquara tomorrow, and I am so excited. More soon!

5 comments:

Miss Scarlet said...

That musuem sounds awesome! I wanna go.

Anonymous said...

see Jehanne McCullough's vlog on Deaf KFC
http://jehanne.wordpress.com/2008/01/19/my-visit-to-deaf-run-kfc-in-egypt/

Anonymous said...

Good post.

Anonymous said...

very useful read. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you guys know that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.

Anonymous said...

great read. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you guys hear that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.