Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Mad Cabbies

I've been in cabs all around the world.

In DC I've nearly been run over, been evangelized to, and learned all about why Ethiopians and Eritreans don't get along.

In Zambia I was packed into a mini bus with 15 others (only ten seats) with live chickens running at my feet.

In Thailand I've been in a cab where the driver fell asleep at a red light and didn't wake up when it was green.

In Egypt, well, they're just crazy.

Nic, Kate and I were on our way home back to the apartment and flagged a cab. He picked us up and knew the area he was going to (not all of them do, then they get out and try to find someone who does.) The cab ride wasn't more than 5 minutes long and costs 2-4 pounds. We got out, Nic gave the cabbie 3.5 pounds and we walked away. Naturally, because we aren't Egyptian he tries to haggle us for more money. When you've paid the correct amount and they still do this, you are told to just walk away. We did. We got halfway into the building and the cabbies GETS OUT OF HIS CAB. I was a bit freaked out. Nic and Kate weren't.


We start walking up the stairs and he FOLLOWS US, yelling and cursing at us in Arabic. Halfway up he grabs Nic's arm and yelling directly at him. He then throws the money on the ground. Nic then says, "Either 3.5 pounds, or zero pounds, your choice!" The cabbie makes a spitting noise and turns around.

I'm not gonna lie, I was terrified. If this happened in the US, my guess is that one of us would be in the hospital. But here they aren't very violent and just want to get you riled up, and totally rip off foreigners. They really think they should get more just because we aren't Egyptian.

Tonight we're going to see Sufi dancing. I am so excited. However, I am beyond extremely sore from yesterday's camel ride. I've been stretching all day but still haven't been able to fix my back. Hopefully I'm fine before we get on a bus for 9 hours tomorrow to Dahaab. Red Sea, here I come!


No comments: