Saturday, February 10, 2007

Here At Last!

3:40pm DC time, 10:40pm Cairo time
After some daunting times at Charles De Gaul Airport in Paris, I am finally in Cairo! Flying in was such an experience- I saw the pyramids, the Nile... so amazing. Before we landed, I went to the bathroom and seriously did a small happy dance. I couldn't believe that I was finally here!

Seeing the pyramids from overhead was incredible- to think how long ago they were created, and that we still can't comprehend how they were built... wow.

Kate and Nic were right there to pick me up- it's so good to see them! The apartment they share with a few other students I know, and a few students from Belgium and France is huge. It's very "art deco" (read: outdated) but such a nice space. Their other roomie from AU is in Palestine, so until he gets back, I have an entire bedroom to myself- so nice!

The first thing I did when I got here was to take a shower- it takes a learning curve and a bit of artistry to get the temperature right. Next time I'm sure I'll be better, but tonight it was either at boiling hot or freezing- practice makes perfect!

Kate made a very nice shrimp pasta dinner and I was so grateful for not eating airplane food anymore. It was sooooo good. After that we went to an ex-pat market around the corner to grab a few things, then back here to drink some cosmopolitans with the alcohol that caused me so much trouble to get here- they were quite tasty!

Now, after being up for nearly 42 hours, it's time for me to crash (3:30pm DC time) and get some rest for tomorrow's adventures. I am very lucky to have such good friends like Nic and Kate- they got me maps and all sorts of things to prepare to go out into the world of Cairo. They even taught me a few key phrases I'll be using in the next two weeks such as "Can I take your picture?" and "Please don't pinch my butt!"

I'm exhausted, so this will be cut short. But don't you worry, I'll be keeping you updated when I can!



There was no way I was going to pass up a fresh chocolate croissant in France!
One of the few duty-free stores open at 6am at Charles De Gaul

PYRAMIDS!!!

Cairo, one of the five biggest cities in the world

1 comment:

Annie Rebekah said...

I mean, 'please don't pinch my butt' is requisite.

SO JEALOUS! LOVE READING THIS, and clearly CLEARLY wish i was there with you!