Thursday, February 22, 2007

Sustainable Travel


So now that I've been in Egypt for two weeks I see what a toll pollution can take on our planet. While I recycle at home and am in general an energy saver, that huge plane ride I took here, and the one I'll be taking tomorrow, really does affect the earth.


Check out www.climatecare.org and see how much CO2 emissions you're causing. It's frightening. From my flight to DC to Cairo, I used 2.61 Tons of CO2. It's scary, but we can all make our plane trips and travel sustainable if we make contributions to the environment in positive ways, like purchasing Carbon Offsetting.


Each time we heat our homes, take a flight or drive the car, CO2 is added into the atmosphere. CO2 is a greenhouse gas that is released when fossil fuels such as oil, gas and coal are burnt. Offsetting means paying someone to reduce CO2 in the atmosphere by the same amount that your activities add. In this way you can 'neutralize' or 'balance' the CO2 added by your activities.


So before I get on my flight tomorrow morning for the states, I'll be purchasing my carbon offset, which costs about $25 bucks. I'd say that if it one day lets my kids see the pyramids, then it's totally worth it. Please check it out and consider doing carbon offsetting for your next trip.





3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this terrific post-- I have been meaning to find the carbon offset website for a while. I think the $25 you spent out the "X" amount you spent on the plane ride seems well worth it. You rule girlfriend.

Anonymous said...

very useful read. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did any one hear that some chinese hacker had busted twitter yesterday again.

Anonymous said...

very useful read. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you guys learn that some chinese hacker had busted twitter yesterday again.